Online study course about Wicca

This blog discusses aspects of the Master of Wiccan Studies course offered through the ULC Seminary.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lesson 1

I have just finished reading lesson 1.  This is a nice summary of Paganism and some of our Wiccan beliefs.  I see that community was the focal point of their lives as it is in our present lives.   As far as heresy I have experienced the wrath of those for whom I do not share their belief.   The one point that struck me though is the misinformation that has been passed down for years regarding the Burning Times. The estimated 9,000,0000 people killed, I believe is in serious error. The 9,000,000 people supposedly killed seems a little excessive to me even before any research. And it is true that this could have decimated entire populations.  The information that has been "thrown out" there all these years is propaganda to get people to project blame onto someone else (in this case, the Church) for their behavior.  Researching other materials, estimates are as many as 100,000 people accused of being witches. 
 
But killing people for religious beliefs is not partial to just one faith.  This is something that has gone on for centuries whether one is Pagan/Wiccan, Christian, Muslim, Jewish, etc.  And it not necessarily because of faith, but more over politics, lands, and power.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment