Online study course about Wicca

This blog discusses aspects of the Master of Wiccan Studies course offered through the ULC Seminary.

Friday, August 23, 2013

Lesson 22: Beginning Spells

I have been doing spell working for a long time now.  I just have a few comments about the lesson.
 
1)I do not believe it is necessary to cast a circle every time one works a spell.  If I am doing simple candle magic, I do not usually cast a spell.  I light the appropriate candle, focus the energy on the intent and send it.  Usually this would be cleansing the air, healing, encouragement, and peace. Now, if I am doing a protective working, I do.  If I am doing kitchen magic and preparing something for a sabbat or other magickal gathering, often I will put my energy into the cooking, whatever the intent of the magickal gathering would be.  Sometimes, I just think loving thoughts for those the meal is being prepared.
 
2)If a Circle is cast, it is not just for protection, but also as a "container" in which to build the energy for the working.  I do agree with staying within the Circle during a right as it diminishes the power of the Circle when it is opened.  If one must leave, then as you say, cut an opening and seal to protect others and contain the energy while you are gone. Then cut an opening to go back in and then seal with a protective pentagram or other magickal symbol that your path uses.
 
3)I like your Nightmare-Free Sleep pouch.  I created one for one of my "adopted children" who came to me with difficulties.  I created a little dream pillow and put in it lavendar and mugwort.  The lavendar to calm and the mugwort to keep those "bad/disturbing" thoughts at bay. 
 
4)A little on exorcisms.  I know we discuss exorcising negative energy and spirits.  But, I caution anyone who may want to try this on the living.  If you really think someone is "possessed", check with someone who is familiar with possession.  I do believe it is possible, but not likely.  If you try to exorcise someone who you believe is possessed and they are not, you could cause their death. 
 
5)Home and Protection Spells.  Warding you, your loved ones, and home should be done frequently.  Some say daily, some several times a week, etc. I tend to do it monthly.  If there is negative events surrounding you within or without your home, you may want to cleanse and set fresh wards more often.  Make sure to keep your home from clutter and dirt.  Negative energy seems to like to attach to dirt, dust, and clutter.  Try to get rid of the clutter.
 
6)Spells to ease emotional pain.  These are great as a tool to help you begin to heal.  But remember, healing does take time.  I am a Trained Victim Advocate, I am also a survivor; I am also have been trained and worked as a volunteer Drug and Alcohol Addictions Advocate.  Take your time, find support. If you find that you cannot overcome troubling issues, seek professional counsel. If you are battling something spiritual, then seek pastoral counsel.  You may need to seek both. 
 
I do enjoy these lessons and they are a wonderful refresher to make me think. I hope others who take these classes enjoy them as well.
 
Love and Light,
 
Rev. Candy S. Lacey-Partlow
Rose Oak Interfaith Ministries/
Coven of the Three-Fold Path
rev.cslacey@hotmail.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment