Online study course about Wicca

This blog discusses aspects of the Master of Wiccan Studies course offered through the ULC Seminary.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wiccan Studies

The first thing I learned from this lesson is the difference between invoking and evoking. I was not aware of "evoking" before...The invoking is to invite and the evoke to force. I would say that since invoking is more popular because common sense dictates that an invitation brings along a willing ally (one would hope!)...but evoking a spirit or force may bring along an unwilling partner who may turn on one or do some mischief (but that is just my humble opinion).

The instruments used at the altar have various meanings. But it is I who would give meaning to the tool... I like that approach. Again. I see a lot of common sense in this approach. The stone, the salt, the fire, the wand...all have representation of what I see to use it for. They are tools to be used to help me concentrate for a purpose - to focus divine energy. It is similar, in many ways, to finding a four foot stick in the woods. I can clean it up and use it as a cane or walking staff. I can use it to defend myself as a weapon. I can tie a string to it, add a hook, and go fishing. I can twirl it like a baton to amuse myself. The stick by itself has no power. I bring my imagination to it and then... the possibilities are endless.

When I studied the four directions and the five elements of the altar, I gained a sense of order. Interesting is the instructor's take is that it is up to the individual to determine the order. An orderly altar accomplished for me the following: respects the elements and directions; represents order in all things; and makes ease of use!
:biggrinthumb: 

********************************************

To ordain yourself with the Universal Life Church, for free, for life, right now, click on the Free Online Ordination link.

Rev. Long created the ULC seminary site to help ministers learn and grow their ministries. The Seminary offers a huge catalog of materials for ministers of the Universal Life Church, as well as an online seminary program and a chaplaincy program.

No comments:

Post a Comment